I’ve Got Fear Issues!
Halloween, Hamas & other Headlines from Hell
25 “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? 28 And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 29 yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Anxious – “merimnoa” – anxiety, worry, to be concerned in advance.
Luke 8:14 (ESV)
14 And as for what fell among the thorns, they are those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by the cares[merimnoa] and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature.
Worry is literally laying waste to your harvest
We were never designed to be plugged into a 24/7 news cycle.
- Adolescents diagnosed with Anxiety disorders up 29% in the past five years
- Depression amongst teenagers up 27%
- 70% of our teens see it as “major” problem with peers (*)
“Stop letting the howls of coyotes in your head!
What is Jesus’ message for our anxiety mess?
#1 HELL COMES WHERE IT’S INVITED— STOP SETTING OUT A SEAT FOR SATAN
Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad (Proverbs 12:25, ESV).
Top 10 Fears of 2023 (Ref)
- Corrupt government officials 60.1%
- Economic/financial collapse 54.7%
- Russia using nuclear weapons 52.5%
- The US becoming involved in another World War 52.3%
- People I love becoming seriously ill 50.6%
- People I love dying 50.4%
- Pollution of drinking water 50.0%
- Biological warfare 49.5%
- Cyber-terrorism 49.3%
- Not having enough money for the future 48.0%
- Fear puts out the welcome mat for your foes
Job 3:25 (NIV)What I feared has come upon me; what I dreaded has happened to me.
Did Job’s fears invite his foe or at least tip the devil off?
- Fear is Faith… pointed in the wrong direction
Numbers 13:32–14:1 (ESV): The land, through which we have gone to spy it out, is a land that devours its inhabitants, and all the people that we saw in it are of great height. 33 And there we saw the Nephilim (the sons of Anak, who come from the Nephilim), and we seemed to ourselves like grasshoppers, and so we seemed to them.”
Did Israel’s fear put more faith in their foe?
Romans 10:17 (ESV) So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.
- What Are you putting before your eyes
- What are you putting before you ears
- Ask… is this feeding my fears, or firing up my faith?
#2 HELL WANTS IN YOUR HEAD BECAUSE HELL WANTS YOUR YOUR HEART
Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. (Pr 4:23).
Your head gives access to your heart
The “Peanut” brain (the Amygdala and the Limbic System)
- Majority of Emotions and Mood
- Fear – fight or flight response
- 90% of decisions made here automatically
- No language or logic
Proverbs 23:7 (NKJV) For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.
Heart = mind, soul, spirit, self, i.e., the source of life of the inner person in various aspects, with a focus on feelings, thoughts, volition, and other areas of the inner life
(James Swanson, Dictionary of Biblical Languages with Semantic Domains : Hebrew (Old Testament), 1997.)
Satan and the Salesman knows the power of fear! It speaks straight to the HEART of the man!!!!
Romans 12:2 (ESV) Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Three Options For All That Comes Your Way…
#3 WHEN YOU START FEARING THE RIGHT THINGS, YOU STOP FEARING THE WRONG THINGS
In the fear of the Lord one has strong confidence, and his children will have a refuge. 27 The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, that one may turn away from the snares of death (Proverbs 14:26–27, ESV).
David faced his fears because the God that was within Him was greater than the giant that was before him
Philippians 4:4–9 (MSG)
4–5 Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him! Make it as clear as you can to all you meet that you’re on their side, working with them and not against them. Help them see that the Master is about to arrive. He could show up any minute!
6–7 Don’t fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.
8–9 Summing it all up, friends, I’d say you’ll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies.
When you feel anxiety and stress playing its familiar tune… SEND OUT AN S-O-S
(S) – STOP being played by my fears
“do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God” (Philippians 4:6, ESV)
(O) – OVERCOME my anxiety with His peace
“And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:7 (ESV).
(S )- SEEK the good
“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9 What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you” (Philippians 4:8–9 (ESV).
23 Verses To Meditate On
- 1 John 4:18 (NKJV) “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.
- Psalm 34:4 (NKJV) “I sought the LORD, and He heard me, And delivered me from all my fears.
- Matthew 6:34 (NKJV) “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”
- 2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV) “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”
- Isaiah 41:10 (NKJV) “Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
- Joshua 1:9 (NKJV) “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
- Proverbs 3:5 (NKJV) “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding.”
- Philippians 4:6-7 (NKJV) “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”
- John 14:27 (NKJV) “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
- Psalm 55:22 (NKJV) “Cast your burden on the Lord, And He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.”
- 1 Peter 5:6-7 (NKJV) “Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.”
- Philippians 4:13 (NKJV) “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
- Psalm 46:10 (NKJV) “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”
- 2 Corinthians 5:7 (NKJV) “For we walk by faith, not by sight.”
- Proverbs 19:21 (NKJV) “There are many plans in a man’s heart, Nevertheless the Lord’s counsel—that will stand.”
- Ecclesiastes 3:1 (NKJV) “To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven.”
- 2 Kings 20:5 (NKJV) “I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; surely I will heal you.”
- Proverbs 12:25 (NKJV) “Anxiety in the heart of man causes depression, But a good word makes it glad.”
- Deuteronomy 31:6 (NKJV) “Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.”
- Isaiah 54:17 (NKJV) “No weapon formed against you shall prosper, And every tongue which rises against you in judgment You shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, And their righteousness is from Me,” Says the Lord.
- Zephaniah 3:17 (NKJV) “The Lord your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.”
- Matthew 6:25-27 (NKJV) “Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?”
- Psalm 4:8 (NKJV) “I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.”