Help, I’ve Got Money Issues!
16 He also said to the disciples, “There was a rich man who had a manager, and charges were brought to him that this man was wasting his possessions. 2 And he called him and said to him, ‘What is this that I hear about you? Turn in the account of your management, for you can no longer be manager.’ 3 And the manager said to himself, ‘What shall I do, since my master is taking the management away from me? I am not strong enough to dig, and I am ashamed to beg. 4 I have decided what to do, so that when I am removed from management, people may receive me into their houses.’ 5 So, summoning his master’s debtors one by one, he said to the first, ‘How much do you owe my master?’ 6 He said, ‘A hundred measures of oil.’ He said to him, ‘Take your bill, and sit down quickly and write fifty.’ 7 Then he said to another, ‘And how much do you owe?’ He said, ‘A hundred measures of wheat.’ He said to him, ‘Take your bill, and write eighty.’ 8 The master commended the dishonest manager for his shrewdness. For the sons of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own generation than the sons of light. 9 And I tell you, make friends for yourselves by means of unrighteous wealth, so that when it fails they may receive you into the eternal dwellings.
10 “One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much. 11 If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches? 12 And if you have not been faithful in that which is another’s, who will give you that which is your own? 13 No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.”
14 The Pharisees, who were lovers of money, heard all these things, and they ridiculed him.
- Do you think about or worry about money often?
- Do you let money make your decisions for you?
- Do you get upset when a preacher talks about money?
- Ever buy a lottery ticket and dream about winning the “big one?”
- Have you been tempted to buy into the latest get rich quick scheme?
- Do you get jealous watching someone else’s success?
- Do you believe money will solve your problems?
If you answered yes to any of these… Shift your mind when it comes to money
The Parable of the dishonest Manager
The rich man = __________
The manager = __________
The “Shrewdness” = __________
Use what is TEMPORARY to secure what is ETERNAL
Luke 12:32–34 (ESV)
32 “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Jesus’ message For the money mess
#1 SHIFT YOUR MINDSET WHEN IT COMES TO MONEY
8 For the sons of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own generation than the sons of light. 9 And I tell you, make friends for yourselves by means of unrighteous wealth, so that when it fails they may receive you into the eternal dwellings.
Shrewdness = wise, with understanding
You don’t have a money problem, you have a mindset problem
What would you do with 2.7 million dollars? (Ref)
3 Money Mind-Shifts
- Money is neither good or bad (1 Tim 6:10)
- Poverty is not God’s plan (Due 29:9; 3 John 2)
- Wealth follows wisdom (Prov 8:18; Prov 14:24)
What Would Jesus Tell Me?
- Learn From Those Who Are Wise With Money
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad, Robert Kiyosaki
- Total Money Makeover, Dave Ramsey
- The Richest Man In Babylon, George Clason
- Put Wisdom to work for Eternal Wealth
#2 YOUR TEMPORARY TALENTS ARE A TEST OF YOUR TRUSTWORTHINESS
11 If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches?
“unrighteous wealth” = “earthly currency“
“the true riches” = “not imaginary”
Present Harvest is Previous Seed
Matthew 25:14–30 – Parable of the talents
Matthew 25:29 For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.
What would Jesus tell me?
- You have exactly what you can be trusted with
- If you can be trusted in little things, you can be trusted with greater things
- Make A Plan For Your Money
- Destroy Your Debt
#3 MASTER MONEY, OR MONEY WILL MASTER YOU
13 No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.”
Money makes an excellent servant, but a miserable master
What Would Jesus Say to Us
- If you struggle, work on your stewardship
- If you’re blessed, work on your generosity
5 Steps to Fix the Money Mess
- Make A Plan For Your Money
- Establish an Emergency Fund
- Destroy Your Debt
- Work towards Wealth
- Give Generously