I’ve Got Identity Issues
I’ve Got Identity Issues | 11.5.23
Exodus 14:10 – 14
– (10) As Pharaoh approached, the people of Israel looked up and panicked when they
saw the Egyptians overtaking them. They cried out to the Lord, (11) and they said to
Moses, “Why did you bring us out here to die in the wilderness? Weren’t there enough
graves for us in Egypt? What have you done to us? Why did you make us leave Egypt?
(12) Didn’t we tell you this would happen while we were still in Egypt? We said, ‘Leave
us alone! Let us be slaves to the Egyptians. It’s better to be a slave in Egypt than a
corpse in the wilderness!’” (13) But Moses told the people, “Don’t be afraid. Just stand
still and watch the Lord rescue you today. The Egyptians you see today will never be
seen again. (14) The Lord himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.”
1. WHAT DO YOU SEE? (vs.10)
– The people of Israel saw Pharaoh coming in the distance and panicked, and
they saw the Egyptians overtaking them.
– Where there is no vision, the people perish…(the people castoff restraint)
I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. (2) When you go thru
deep waters, I will be with you. When you go thru rivers of difficulty, you will not
drown. When you walk thru the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the
flames will not consume you…
Ask yourself this: What lenses are you looking at things thru? Are you looking at everything
thru the lens of CULTURE? Lens of your CIRCUMSTANCES? Or the lens of the KINGDOM?
SEEING IS NOT BELIEVING! That’s how CULTURE works; that’s not how KINGDOM works!
This is exactly what the enemy wants us to believe! He wants us to buy into his lies!
2. WHAT ARE YOU SAYING? (vs. 12)
– Israel was found complaining a lot.
– They’re buying into the lies—(vs.12 – Let’s be slaves!)
– Watch your thoughts; they become your words. Watch your words; they
become your actions. Watch your actions; they become your habits. Watch your habits;
they become your character. Watch your character; it becomes your DESTINY.
When we don’t know who we are, we buy into the lies that the enemy is selling!
Jeremiah 29: 11-14
(11) For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not
for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. (12) …when you pray, I will listen. (13) If
you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. (14) I will be found by you, says the
Lord. I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes. I will gather you out of the
nations where I sent you and will bring you home again to your own land.
If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would fight to never allow another
How could Moses be so calm in the middle of a terrible situation?
3. WHAT DID YOU HEAR? (vs.13; Ex.3:10-4:17)
MOSES WAS SO CONFIDENT AND SO SURE OF HIMSELF BECAUSE GOD ALREADY TOLD
HIM WHO HE WAS A LONG TIME AGO! Moses had been in this same place!!! Look back to
BUT, Moses has his questions and doubts…
Moses gives God five excuses…
- Who am I? (I’m a nobody; I’m not a leader…I don’t have influence)
- Who do I say is sending me? (What authority do I have?)
- Who’s going listen to me? Who’ll believe me? (I have a past; what if nobodyaccepts me?; mind games)
- I’m not very good with my words… (I’m not talented; not gifted; no ability; I’mimpeded…speech impediment / also Moses calls not good what God callevery good when He created man.)
- I’m UNQUALIFIED!
God answers each one of them…
- I’ll be with you!
- I AM THAT I AM
- What’s in your hand?
- Who decides whether people speak…Is it not I?
- No more arguing…GO!
I AM THAT I AM! The Lord was telling Moses who He is by telling him where He’d be and
what He’d be doing!
Moses wasn’t afraid when he saw Pharaoh coming over the horizon with all his army?! He
wasn’t afraid because he knew who he was because he (Moses) knew who HE (God) was!
Moses had heard directly from the bread of life; the light of the world; the door to salvation; the good shepherd; the resurrection and the life; the way, the truth, and the life; and the vine! God told Moses who he was!!!
Identity comes from the FATHER!!!
This is why Moses is able to say…Don’t Worry and Don’t Move.
4. WHAT DO YOU REMEMBER? (vs.16)
The Lord tells Moses, Pick up your staff and raise it over the sea. Divide the water so th
Israelites can walk thru the middle of the sea on dry ground…
The staff was such an important possession in those days. It was used for many things—
protection, support, assistance when walking, hearing sheep. There were many uses.
It also served as a storyteller…God told him, pick up your staff and raise it over the sea,
Moses was putting things in perspective! He put the faithfulness of God between him and
the sea! He was reminded of the faithfulness of God!
– When we put things in perspective…when we lean on the FAITHFULNESS OF GOD,
we see Him move on our behalf and even though it may be uncomfortable and we
don’t know how He is going to work things out—we can rest assured that He is at
The Lord moves between what has DEFINED you so that you will DEPEND on Him! The
Lord moves between what’s been HURTING so that you can experience HEALING!
Exodus 14:19-20 — The Lord positions himself between Israel and Egypt…
Closing: Put into PERSPECTIVE all that God has done. REMEMBER the things that He has
done in your life and the lives of those around you to encourage you and remind you of His